How To Converse Water
Conserving water is not only good for the environment but can also help reduce monthly water bills. Here at Hague Quality Water of Maryland, we are pleased to provide the following tips and suggestions you can use at home to help save water.
- Have leaky faucets repaired by our plumber in Annapolis, MD. Dripping faucets waste water and impact your water bill. Did you know a slow leak can waste over 2,500 gallons of water over the course of a year?
- Get a low flush toilet installed. Low-flush toilets use significantly less water. There are also water-saving push button flushing mechanisms you can have installed on older toilets. These devices allow you to choose between partial and full flush cycles.
- Shut off the water when brushing your teeth. There is no need to leave the water running until you need to rinse.
- Rather than running hot water while shaving, fill sink about a third of the way full and use this to rinse your razor.
- Only run your dishwasher when it is completely full. Even the newer, more water-efficient models still use the same amount of water regardless of the number of dishes being washed.
- Avoid pre-rinsing dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. Modern dishwashers have powerful jets to remove food from dishes, so no pre-rinsing is required.
- If you wash dishes by hand, fill one side of the sink with wash water, and the other with rinse water.
- Use “gray water” for other purposes, rather than letting it wash away down the drain. Gray water has been used for one purpose, but can still be used for another. For instance, the dishwasher and rinse water you use to hand wash dishes is considered gray water. Ask yourself if you could use this to water your plants or repurpose it to mop the floor.
- Get an “on-demand” hot water heater installed. Tankless water heaters provide hot water instantly and eliminate the need to run water until it heats up.
- Have a bottle-less water cooler installed in your This type of setup cools water and provides cold drinking water whenever you want it.
- Only run clean/regeneration cycles on water filters and softener systems, as needed. If you are not using a large volume of water, they do not need to be run as often. In addition, shut off automated clean/regeneration cycles when away from the home on vacation.
- Wait until you have a full load of laundry before running your washing machine, and adjust the water setting to match the load size. Most washing machines either have automatic load sensing technologies or a button to change the water level, and both help reduce water usage.
- Have your home’s plumbing inspected by a qualified plumber at least once a year. Seals, O-rings, gaskets, and pipe fittings can wear out or become loose, leading to leaks and other problems.
For more water saving tips, whole home water treatment systems, or plumbing repairs, call the water experts at Hague Quality Water of Maryland by phoning (410) 757-2992 today!