Do You Know the Dangers of Forever Chemicals or PFAS?
What is a PFAS?
PFAS are human-made chemicals used in many U.S. industries. These chemicals do not break down in the environment or the human body. In fact, they can accumulate over time. According to the EPA, PFAS exposure can lead to adverse health effects over time.
PFAS chemicals are a major risk in Maryland. PFAS used at nearby military bases may have caused groundwater contamination. A test in Prince George’s County by the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit organization, revealed a PFAS concentration of 17.8 parts per trillion. Although complying with the EPA guidelines, this number far exceeds what the group defines as a safe level. To find out if you have PFAS in your water, request a water test today.
You can find PFAS in:
- Food that has been packaged, processed, or grown with PFAS
- Commercial household products
- Drinking water located near certain facilities
- Living organisms like fish, animals, and humans
Download a PFAS information sheet for more information.
Recent PFAS News:
- What is Maryland doing about PFAS? The Maryland Department of the Environment has announced a plan to begin testing the state’s water sources for PFAS – per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances – as a first step toward regulating and removing these harmful chemicals from Maryland’s drinking water. Read more.
- What are the EPA’s preliminary PFOA and PFOS regulatory determinations? On February 20th, 2020, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed regulations for perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS) in drinking water. These actions implement the EPA’s PFAS Action Plan, which helps to address per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances. Read more.
- Are PFAS in the regional waters around the Chesapeake? High levels of “forever chemicals” have been reported in freshwater fish and water from a Maryland creek. Read more.
Want to know what’s in your home’s water?
Request a consultation with a water specialist today!
Our Service Promise
At Hague Quality Water of Maryland, it’s our people that set us apart! Our attitude, commitment to excellence and unending desire to always make Hague Quality Water of Maryland a better company, this is what makes us the leading water specialists in the Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington DC area. We bring this commitment to our full line of expert bottleless water cooler solutions from Chesapeake Cooler Company.