water_treatment

Health Effects of Pesticides in Your Water

Dangerous pesticides could make their way into your water, causing irreparable harm. Think about what pesticides do: they kill bugs. They are chemicals meant to harm. And while many of the pesticides you use around the home may not be particularly deadly to humans in small amounts, prolonged or high exposure can be dangerous.

Worse yet, many farms and other organizations use stronger pesticides, some of which could be a threat to your health even in small doses. Many of the pesticides used today are “synthetic organic compounds,”  which are synthetic chemicals that contain carbon (the building block of life).

In the past, dangerous chemicals like mercury and arsenic (which are also dangerous water contaminants) were common. Synthetic organic compounds were viewed as being far safer. Yet some early synthetic organic compounds were found to be very dangerous and to be contaminating the food chain.

Some pesticides are known for breaking up quickly, meaning they break down before posing a threat to most people. However, other pesticides have proven to be quite resilient and can contaminate water supplies. Some pesticides not only fail to break down quickly, but they’re not readily absorbed into soil. Instead, they’re washed away by rain and irrigation water. Having your water tested by a professional can inform you if your water is contaminated with these harmful contaminants.

While pesticide use may be safer today, they’re still a serious risk. As the EPA notes:

“Pesticides have the potential to contaminate drinking water supplies.  They are applied to farmlands, gardens and lawns and can make their way into groundwater or surface water systems that feed drinking water supplies.”

So now you know pesticides are a serious risk to you and your family’s health. What are the health effects of pesticides in your water more specifically? Let’s dig in.

The Health Effects of Pesticides in Your Drinking Water

Ultimately, the risks posed by pesticides are often broken into two categories: Acute and Chronic health effects. Acute refers to a reaction to overexposure to a large amount of pesticides, a relatively rare occurrence, unless you happen to work with or around pesticides.

Chronic health effects can occur after prolonged exposure to smaller doses of pesticides. If you have pesticides in your water, you’re more likely to suffer from chronic effects rather than acute. Effective water treatment can help you prevent this long time exposure and potential health effects.

Possible symptoms of acute exposure to a pesticide include:

  • Vomiting
  • Muscle weakness
  • Skin rashes
  • Heart failure
  • Convulsions
  • Multi-organ failure

If you’re drinking pesticide-contaminated water, minute amounts of pesticides will build up and pass through your body. Over time, this could have a dramatic impact on your health. Let’s take a look at some of the health effects of chronic exposure to pesticides:

  • Skin irritation, rashes, and dry skin
  • Increased risk of cancer
  • Hormone and endocrine changes
  • Nervous system malfunction

While such serious health problems are not usually associated with exposure through drinking water, it’s important to remain vigilant.

Pesticides have been found in water sources throughout the region. Whether you rely on city or well water, there’s a chance that pesticides could make their way into your drinking water. So make sure you have your water tested for pesticides and other contaminants! If pesticides are present, you need to have your water treated. The Hague WaterMax BEQ is designed specifically to treat water and remove harmful substances to protect you and your family.

Contact Hague Quality Water of Maryland Today

If you think your water may be contaminated with harmful pesticides and other harmful substances, contact Hague Quality Water of Maryland today. We will thoroughly test and treat your water with the appropriate water filtration system for your home. Call us at (410) 757-2992.